Accomplishments & Highlights
2017 YIS Academic Olympic champions
Outstanding Daily Attendance
2015-16: YIS students had an average daily attendance of 95%
- 21 students had Perfect Attendance
- 56 had Exceptional Attendance (.5-2 days of school missed.)
Successful Student-Led Conferences
YIS continues to have successful parent and student participation at Student-Led Conferences in the fall and spring with 80% of students and parents attending. Parent satisfaction with this type of conference, according to surveys, remains very high.
Honor Choir and Band Status
- 15 choir students in 2015-16 and 15 in 2016-17 earned NZNMEA Honor Choir status
- 90 total students from 13 area middle schools are chosen.
- The YIS Choir has received “Superior” ratings over the last four years.
- Two band members made Honor Band in 2016-17.
YIS has many students involved in Student Leadership activities, including:
- Sending over 50 students yearly to the Regional Leadership Mid-Level Conference
- Five 8th graders yearly to the Rotary Middle School Leadership Conference
- Many students are involved helping at the Special Olympics Games and must write an essay, describing why they want to participate, in order to be considered.
Since 2013, YIS students have raised over $15,000 for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Fund, the highest grossing participating school in Northern Nevada.
In late November 2016, YIS students raised $905 in a two week penny drive to buy Christmas dinners for needy YIS families.
- The 7th grade boys and girls won Sagebrush League Championships in basketball
- Both 7th and 8th grade volleyball teams won the league championships.
- 8th grade girls won the basketball championship
- 6th grade boys and girls, as well as 7th grade boys, won the league cross country championships.
In 2016-17, two YIS students were LCSD Spelling Bee Champions and represented LCSD at the state finals.
In 2017, a YIS 8th grader will represent Lyon County.
An 8th grader placed third in the state for her artwork in the Nevada 2017 Radon Poster Contest sponsored by the University of Nevada-Reno.